Gaillardia Arizona Series (Red Shades)
- Uses:Pots, combination planters and landscae plantings
- Garden height:12″ / 30 cm
- Crop time:17-22 weeks
- Sowing method:1-3 seeds per plug
- Germination*:Stage 1 (10-14 days)
- Growing On:Transplant plugs after 5-7 weeks. Maintain temperatures
of 55-65 °F (13-18 °C). Fertilize at 150-200 ppm nitrate nitrogen.
- Media:Use a well-drained, growing substrate with 15-30 % clay, 0-15 % parts (e.g. bark, perlite,
sand), 1-3 kg/m³ complete balanced fertilizer, 0-3 kg/m³ slow release fertilizer (3-9 months),
iron-chelate, micronutrients, pH 5.5-5.8.
- Temperature:Grow at 12-20 °C or outdoors. In winter indoors frost free at 3-5 °C or outdoors.
Outdoor fleece cover needed. For wintering the root development in pots should be very good
and the plants should be have 16 leaves. In spring the plants start to grow for 7-8 weeks at
18-20 °C during daytime and at 16-18 °C during night. Cold temperatures at 12-15 °C will
increase the cultivation time, but the plant shape is more compact.
- Fertilization:High fertilization levels are required. Fertilize the crop weekly with 130-150 ppm
nitrogen (at 3 kg/m³ slow release fertilizer in substrate), using a complete balanced fertilizer.
* Germination Stages (from seed to finished young plant)
Stage I Starts with the radicle breaking through the testa. The roots are touching the medium. Ends with fully developed cotyledons.
Stage II Starts from fully developed cotyledons. Ends with the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair.
Stage III Starts from the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair and ends with 80% of the young plants being marketable.
Stage IV All young plants are ready for sale and in the process of being hardened off. This stage lasts about 7 days.