- Uses:Pots and combination planters
- Exposure:Sun - Partial shade
- Garden height:12″ / 30 cm
- Crop time:8-9 weeks
- Sowing method:1 seed per plug, sowing directly into final pots is recommended.
- Germination*:7-14 days at 72-77 °F (22-25°C). Light is required for germination. Sow in a well-drained media that has good water holding capacity. Maintain relative humidity levels of 90-95 %.
- Growing On:Grow on at 60-65 °F (16-18 °C). Low temperatures can cause premature flowering and poor garden performance. Fertilize weekly at 150-200 ppm nitrogen in a well-balanced fertilizer.
- Media:Use a well-drained, growing substrate with 15-30 % clay, 1,5-2 kg/m³ complete
balanced fertilizer, iron-chelate, micronutrients, pH 5.5-6.0.
- Temperature:Grow at 18-20 °C. At the end of the cultivation time decrease the temperature
to 16 °C. Avoid temperatures below 16 °C, because Celosia needs warm temperatures to grow.
- Fertilization:Moderate fertilization levels are required. Fertilize the crop weekly with 150-200 ppm nitrogen, using a complete balanced fertilizer. Avoid high ammonium and high
nitrogen levels. Prevent magnesium deficiency by applying magnesium sulphate (0,025 %) 1-2 times and in case of iron deficiency apply iron-chelate for 1-2 times.
* Germination Stages (from seed to finished young plant)
Stage I Starts with the radicle breaking through the testa. The roots are touching the medium. Ends with fully developed cotyledons.
Stage II Starts from fully developed cotyledons. Ends with the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair.
Stage III Starts from the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair and ends with 80% of the young plants being marketable.
Stage IV All young plants are ready for sale and in the process of being hardened off. This stage lasts about 7 days.